Sunday, October 9, 2011

The Myth Of The Painless Bikini Wax


As a 20 something woman I consider myself well versed in regards to the bikini wax and all their specific forms, meanings and nationalities. I have also come to terms with the fact that it does hurt and the quicker one gets over that the quicker one can move on with their life .....and their grooming. However , I had been hearing buzzes around town about a boutique-like suite on Homer street that not only specializes in bikini waxes but that waxing is their only form of business. I found this remarkable in our economy . An economy that forced a former fashionista into a just- as -fabulous recessionista , within a month. A stable business during a recession based on waxing? or what I like to refer to it as the fine art of ripping one's hair out in order to never have to look at a pair of granny panties. However , the more extraordinary part of this buzz was that it was painless .....one even called the experience "nice" . Nice? immaculate they may be but no pain ? that was too much.

I decided to do some research to what was becoming an urban myth . I presumed it was perhaps something to be left with those thoughts of finding your "soulmate" at the Roxy ( still worth hoping for provided you have vodka in hand or a really great gay best friend to take you home and tell you that your'e beautiful ) . The site is super cute and even had pictures and bios of each "waxer" . At first glimpse I wanted them all to be my new bff and the fact they where making claims to doing the best wax in the city and it was cheaper then my normal wax was the icing on the cake. So I gave in . I became a waxing virgin again and very vulnerably comitted myself to the fairy tale of the painless bikini wax.

Speaking of fairy tales, when I first stepped into the "waxing" room I felt I had intruded into the sweetest , purest room of a 16 year old girl . A vanity mirror greeted me as did the waxing table which looked more like a pink princess bed . Beyonce came out of the stereo and a cool breeze sifted through the pink curtains and I felt like I was in a friends room ready to spill secrets or talk about a crush. When my beautiful "waxer" walked in she was already into conversation about the music industry , travel ,relationships- a girl-crush developed immediately. In between being smitten with the waxer and talking about Lady Gaga my pants must of come off and I must have been given the best bikini wax of my life. Yet I don't really remember the wax itself. I do remember the songs on the boom box and laughing with my new bestie. I was in shock when I was guided out onto the bright sunlit cobble stone of Yaletown with my waxer's / new bff 's card in hand. I felt like I was in a dream . I had just had a painless wax -no not painless - I think it was more fun than anything.

As I walked along Homer Street I decided to give another fairy tale a try and winked at a well dressed , gorgeous guy . He winked back then said " Are you finished your appointment? perfect , I'm next , my boyfriend loves it when I do the wax with the rhinestone option!" . Of course the fairy tale of the well dressed -gorgeous guy who is heterosexual was not true ... for now, I was more then happy to be a new believer in the tale of the perfect , painless bikini wax. The place is called Sugarbox and how very sweet it is.


No comments:

Post a Comment